Renown or Ruin v1.0 Released - Download!
I started creating this because my gaming group wanted to explore the Realm Master idea from the Hinterlands expansion from Sam (Thank you dude!). The only reason I formalized it into a shareable ruleset, is because my gaming group doesn't want to play anything else but this (and a bit of Shadespire). If it's good enough to get 5 busy dads to set aside a late late night every month for the last 8 months, then I hope it's good enough for you. Thank you to Paul, Davy, Aaron and Kenny for the many fun hours of rolling dice. This is from us to you!
Four heroes take their first step towards their own legends, each shadowed by a small group of followers. Together they journey into the spired city to unlock the challenges and riches that have been entombed within. It's not gold they seek, but Relics and Artefacts of old, but even those are a means towards something greater. Even great battles will suffice in transforming them from just another fighter in armies of their homelands into great leaders whose names resonate throughout the Mortal Realms. The only path suitable to reach great Renown crosses over the pit to terrible Ruin.
Renown or Ruin is run by a Realm Master (RM) who leads 1-4 players and their warbands through a setting using battleplans and roleplay, to weave stories of legend. Shape their world and challenge them to overcome Battleplan Objectives, find Relics and Artefacts, take on Quests, and make decisions faithful to the character of their Hero. Between excursions into the city of Shadespire, give them places of Respite where their followers drink, eat, share stories about the Heroes they follow, and their legend grows. When a Hero grows in Renown, more people seek to follow them. But fail in the objectives and quests you've set before them, and their followers lose faith and find someone else to believe in.
- Warbands increase and decrease in Renown which allows the Hero to gain and lose followers.
- Explore a city full of ruins through simple skirmish battleplans that are instantly more fun with 3-5 people around the table.
- A Simple Relic hunting mechanic that gives warbands a choice to aid their party or seek treasure for themselves.
- Heroes and followers can wield relics and artefacts to give them buffs and abilities.
- Use a Warband Journal to track your player's journey of Renown
- 6 steps to getting your first game started without any fear!
- Dusk Plains Skirmish Battleplan for your first night.
- Master Relic Hunter Skirmish Battleplan for interesting plot hooks.
- Grim Exchange Respite sheet to serve as your party's first base camp.
- 8 Sessions, 24 hours of playtesting by 5 devoted gamers with half decent intelligence.
There are so many interesting and cool expansions available for playing Skirmish in more rich and interesting ways. Renown and Ruin brings something a little bit different that I hope is worth you trying out with your gaming group. We've had a good amount of time to play and think about improving this. We need your help to make it better!